Monday, May 16, 2016

Social Media: Is it an accurate representation of your life?


Many schools, employers, and organizations keep a pretty close eye on their current and future members of their institutions. Some people find this as an invasion of privacy and believe that these places are their own private realm. But is that an accurate definition of social media in this current day and age?

Today people spend a large majority of their day online whether it be on a computer, a mobile devise, or a gaming system. When on these devices people post information about themselves, this information often being very detailed. Many people don't think twice before posting things online because it's just another place they can be themselves.

This is where that grey area begins. If people are allowed to be themselves online, and post the things they do and the things they believe in, shouldn't schools, companies, and other organizations be able to use this information before deciding if they want this person to be a part of their institution.

I personally believe that it is completely fair for anything you make public on the internet to be used to describe you as a person. I had been told from a young age to always think twice before you. I was told this for two reasons.

1. Everything you post on the internet is there forever. Even if you delete it.
2. Anyone can access the information you post on the internet no matter how private you think it is. With enough resources, money, and time, that information is accessible.

I guess with that state of mind I would consider myself lucky because I don't believe I have any information on the internet that I have posted myself that could hurt my future self. Not that there aren't embarrassing pictures from when I was young or some stupid things I have said. But nothing bad enough that it will effect me in the long run.

My biggest tip to people would be to educate yourself and your peers. Just remember the two reasons I told you earlier:
1. Everything you post on the internet is there forever. Even if you delete it.
2. Anyone can access the information you post on the internet no matter how private you think it is. With enough resources, money, and time, that information is accessible.

If you keep this in mind before you post something online then you should be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment